Wednesday, February 20, 2008

"I'll be praying for you"

Has anyone ever told you "I'll be praying for you"? I have had many people say this to me before. I know I have said it many times too. Did you ever wonder if they really did pray for you? Were they just saying what they thought they should at the moment? Were they simply trying to be nice, make you feel better, or were they really sincere? I am posting this because it has been on my mind the past few weeks. I have joked with some people when they say "I'll be praying for you", and asked them "Are you really gonna pray for me?". It wasn't that I doubted that they were serious. It does stir up conviction in me when I think about it. Someone in my office asked me to pray for them today and I told her I would. You know what. I still haven't stopped to pray for her yet. I will stop right now and pray................... The next time someone asks you to pray for them I wonder if you can stop right then and pray with them. If you ask me to pray for you be prepared because first I'm gonna pray with you.

2 comments:

Brook said...

I too feel convicted about this. I typically don't tell people I will pray for them, because I think people say that so often and never follow up on it, myself included. I think I made this change when I was in college. I'm not saying it's the best, but at least I'm being honest. I feel lead to just stop and pray a lot of times when someone tells me something, but I let fear of my clock dictate way to much in my life. I too will take the challenge to stop, drop, and pray, when an issue comes up. Thanks for sharing today!

HHJr said...

Hey bud, I'm there with you on this one. But here is a related problem: Sometimes I have so many people asking me to pray for them that I have trouble remembering who to pray for what and when! I guess that I am going to have to start a little prayer notebook to help me remember, because when I forget someone or something, I really kick myself. Does anyone else have this problem?
HHJr
P.S. I'm not asking for the amount of prayer requests to go down, not in the slightest. I am just knocking my 40 year old memory!